Who We Are
Join The SFC Board of Directors
The Sustainable Furnishings Council, Inc. (SFC) is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit corporation whose mission is to help the home furnishings industry reduce its negative impact on the planet and decrease the use of harmful and wasteful components in the manufacturing process by providing sustainability education, best practices, and industry accountability to manufacturers, retailers, suppliers, and designers. Now in its 17th year of educating the home furnishings industry about sustainable best practices, SFC is poised to build new sustainability tools and programs that will create measurable impact. That is why we are recruiting more dedicated sustainable leaders to join our Board of Directors (“Directors”).
The SFC Board of Directors will oversee and steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies and by ensuring the nonprofit has adequate resources to advance its mission. *
The Board of Directors are fully-insured corporate fiduciaries required by law to serve SFC in good faith, acting in the best interests of the nonprofit. The core requirements of serving on the Sustainable Furnishings Council board of directors are:
- Directors are required to contribute to the nonprofit financially each year (ie, personal donation amount at director’s discretion or purchase of ticket/s to fundraising events, etc.) and participate in fundraising campaigns.
- SFC Board meets at four (4) quarterly board meetings including a mandatory, in-person annual meeting (date/location schedule one-year in advance).
- If members are absent for three (3) consecutive meetings, it is considered automatic resignation.
- For 2023, the Board of Directors will serve staggered terms with ⅓ serving one (1) year; ⅓ serving two (2) years and ⅓ serving three (3) years.
- Directors can serve two (2) consecutive terms of three (3) years maximum.